Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The thrift store rider, money saving tips for horse and rider

In my last blog I mentioned ways to save money on horse supplies by looking for products outside tack stores for horse related items.  I mentioned I made a wool cooler from a blanket I bought from a thrift store.  Today I'd like to share with you some other cost saving tips. 
I am always amazed at what you can find at the dollar store, It has a lot of items you can use around the barn and for your horse. One of my favorites are leather wipes.  Although they are geared towards cleaning car seats you can use these to quickly clean your tack at a show without having to haul out the bucket, cloth water and cleaner.  One quick wipe and you are ready to go.
Another good find is tape, duct tape and electrical tape are readily available at all dollar stores.  Duct tape can be used for hoof packs and emergency tack repairs and electrical tape is great for doing up show or wrapping polo pony tails.  You can get three rolls for a $1.00 in multiple colours.
If you are lucky you can also find decent combs and brushes for combing out manes for a $1.00.  Make sure they are tough enough to stand up to the job.
If you like to feed treats to your horse check out the candy section, you can buy a big bag of mints for cheap.  I have yet to find a horse that doesn't like mints but make sure they brush after.
Clear plastic containers can also be found at the store, they are great for organizing your tack and make things easy to find.
My brush bag came from the dollar store. It is a garden tool bag.  It has lots of pockets to store brushes and takes up little space.
First aid kits can be replenished, on the cheap, things like band aids,wraps, scissors, ointments, creams, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can all be purchased there.
These are just a few ideas I will come up with some more in later blogs
Thanks
Steve Wawryk