Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Thrift store rider. How to save big money on equestrian supplies.

Now you are probably wondering why is a guy who sells tack for a living telling us to save money on equestrian products by shopping at a thrift store.  I am wondering that myself but long before I ever owned a tack business I was a horse owner.  I would go into tack stores and wonder why are those scissors 5x more expensive then at a regular store or why is this leather cleaner so much more then the one I bought at the department store.  There are a bunch of reasons for the inflated price: overhead, purchasing power, brand names etc. but the bottom line is you can get the same or similar items at other stores for a fraction of the cost. Using a little imagination and creative thinking can also save you money.  Remember never compromise the safety of you and your horse to save a few cents, but don't be fooled into thinking your horse will like you any less because you bought a comb at the dollar store rather then at the specialty tack shop.

 I will not skimp on are items directly related to me and my horse's safety.   Try to buy the best tack you can afford.  Buying a saddle, halter, bridle, bit or pad that doesn't fit or in bad repair just isn't worth the savings or risk of injury.

Over the next couple of blogs I will show you some ways I have saved a few bucks by buying horse supplies at the thrift or dollar store.

Here is my $6.00 wool cooler. I bought a 100% Scottish wool blanket at the thrift store and a few plastic vise clamps from the dollar store.  This wool is thick and warm and very safe. If the blanket slips and the horse steps on it the clamps will simply let go and be free of any strap.  I figure if this blanket is good enough to put on someones bed it is good enough to cool out a sweaty horse.
Thanks
Steve Wawryk

No comments: