Monday, January 11, 2010

Slowing down a chargey horse.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about peoples horses is that they won't slow down. The second you give them a loose rein they speed up. I know first hand what this is like, for years I had trouble slowing down my horse. I partly blame myself for causing the chargey horse problem because every time I got on my horse I raced around. When I first started to ride it was all about going fast.


Once I learned that being a good rider wasn't always about going fast I set about to correct the problem. The problem can be corrected but will require a lot of work and discipline on your part; it may take a week or even three but believe me it can be done if you follow this simple rule:

Lots of one rein stops. The second your horse begins to go faster then you want him to go do a one rein stop. I also like to flex them in between each stop to stretch them and teach them to give to the bit, halter bosal whatever you are riding in.

Timing is the key here, the second they move the slightest bit quicker then you asked one rein them and circle them around, when they stop moving and give to the pressure release your hold. I then like to flex them to each side just to reinforce the giving and release of the pressure. Try to get your horse’s nose to touch your foot and release when they give. Work through all gaits but be careful not to pull your horse around too quickly and throw them off balance.

I find this exercise very effective for the horse who likes to rush back to the barn. Doing this exercise on your way back will really slow them down. Just be sure to ride off in the opposite direction from the barn after each correction. Ask for a walk back home and don't quit until you get it. I know this seems like a lot of work and it can be but in the end you will have a more patient, supple horse.

thanks

Steve Wawryk