Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Don't let the snow keep you from riding.

Well the dreaded day had arrived.  I woke up this morning to wet snow on the ground and from what the forecast says I am in for some more.  You would think after some 42 years of ontario winters I would get use to it but unfortunatekly I am one of these people that grin and bare it for the next 4 months.  The only saving grace for me are those sunny winter days wen I can get out and gallop across a snow covered field.  One of my most memorable rides have been riding in the snow racing a jack rabbit along a fence line.  Needless to say after the rabbit grew tired of us he took off across the field and was gone in a blink of an eye.
Now riding in the snow can be a little tricky here are a few things to keep in mind when venturing out. 
  • Avoid sharp turns and small circles, I have had horses fall on me because they caught some ice under the snow and slipped trying to lope a circle.
  • Be aware of the footing, try to avoid ice as much as possible, don't be afraid to dismount and check the footing yourself.
  • Stay off lakes and ponds, especially if you have winters with freeze and thaws, you don't want to break through the ice at best you will get very cold and wet , worst case an empty stall and place at the dinner table.
  • Try to avoid deep snow drifts.  I once went out with a person who's horse got bogged down in deep snow and we spent 1/2 hour digging them out, the horse was cold and I was tired.
  • Avoid getting your horse too wet, especially if they don't have a warm stall to dry off in.
  • Improve your horses traction by keeping snow from balling up. One way to do this is allow the sole to grow thick so there isn't much of a pocket in the hoof.  Another trick is to spray PAM or any not stick cooking spray on the sole of the horses hooves.  This keeps the snow from sticking.
  • Slow down and ride in areas you are familiar with.
Get out and have Fun
Steve Wawryk
Any questions or comments email me at horselife@execulink.com