Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bridleless Riding! Are you Crazy?

Last night I was surfing on Youtube and came across Clinton Anderson doing some Bridleless riding.  I don't impress all that easy but I watched in amazement as he put his horse through a reining pattern.  You may have also seen Stacey Westfall do this bridless and bareback, if you haven't you have got to check it out your jaw will drop.
Like a lot of you out there I am always looking for new ways to challenge me and my horse.  So this morning I went out and decided that me and my horse were going to learn to ride bridleless.  I consider myself a bold rider but not a stupid one so I am starting with baby steps.
I put on a Horselife Ropehalter/bitless bridle combo and a neck rope on my trusty but very forward and energetic horse Chopper.  For a neck rope I used a 6ft lead line tied around his neck. I jumped up on him bareback and rode him into the paddocks.  Now my horse works pretty good bitless so I figured I would have that as a backup in case things were not working with the neck rope and I could use it to reinforce what I was asking with the neck rope. 
when I first started out my horse wasn't quit sure what to think but after a short time and some reinforcing with the halter he was catching on.  I was able to do rollbacks, steer fine, back up and do  a decent stop( still could be better).  I was  very surprised how well it worked. I rode him in the same style I would if I had a saddle and bridle using the leg cues and shifting my weight and mimicking the had movements I do when neck reining.  I hope to be riding bridless by the time spring hits I will keep you posted on my progress. 
If you are looking for something new to try give bridless riding a shot.  Remember to work up to it and be safe.
If you are interested in buying a Horselife bitless bridle halter combo you can get them on ebay just type in horselife or email me and we can make other arrangements
www.horselife@execulink.com
Thanks
Steve Wawryk