Thursday, November 12, 2009

My best riding tip. Look where you want to go.

Along with running a tack company I also give riding lessons.  I like to call the style of riding I teach "Real Life Riding". You see my lessons are a little different then most. I teach people to ride on their own horses at their facility.  By giving this sort of lesson I have the opportunity to see all sorts of riders and horses and various levels of skill and training.  I often get called by people who have been taken riding lessons at a stable for a year or two and finally have gone out and bought their own horse.  Most often they don't have a riding arena or ring to work in but just want to ride around their farm.  For some it is the first time riding a non school horse.  Now sometimes things work out great and the horse cooperates other times not so much.  I often end up getting up on the horse myself to see just how much the horse knows.  As long is the horse is safe it really doesn't matter how much it knows because I want to teach the rider to train their own horse.  This may sound like a lot to ask of some new riders but I always tell them every time you interact with your horse on the ground or in the saddle you are training them. 
I teach riders proper seat techniques and the usual walk trot canter ques but I also give tips on how to deal with a horse that wants to bold,rear, buck, bock or do the naughty things horses some times do.
Often I am giving a lesson out in a pasture with the nearest fence being 100metres away so the horse can pretty much go wherever it wants to go.  There are no arena walls or rails to help contain or direct the horse.  One of the most common complaints I hear is My horse won't go where I want him to go.  Often the rider is just going around aimlessly, a passenger for where the horse wants to take them.  My answer to this problem is simple, Look where you want to go.  Often people are looking down at their horse or have no idea where they want to ride too.  You will be amazed how easy it is to direct your horse by simply looking where you want to go.  If you don't believe me try this at home. With your horse walking a straight line quickly turn your head to the right ride towards a direction or object.  Be clear about where you want to go.  Now look and see which way your horse tips his nose I'll bet it is to the right.  Follow up with the appropriate que to drive the horse in that direction. You can practice this at all gaits and even use this to help your horse turn more quickly or even spin.
Riding a horse isn't that much  different than driving a car.  If you look at the telephone poll at the side of the road thats where your car will end up going.
Simple know where you want to go and look in that direction, your horse will do the rest.