Monday, November 2, 2009

Hard to catch horses? Take the long way home.

This summer I was extremely busy and did not have as much time for riding as I'd have liked.  For a while I was getting on my horse maybe 2 times a month, not a lot of riding.  As the summer progressed I found it harder and harder to catch my usually very cooperative gelding.  He runs on about 20 acres of pasture with hills, creeks, gullies and trees; a perfect place to keep a horse. Unfortunately along with the ideal pasture comes a multitude of ways a horse can easily avoid being caught. 
So after a session where it took me 20 minutes to catch him I decided to take some time and work on this. 
I went out every day for three days straight with mints in hand and just sttod about 30 yards away. I didn't make eye contact just pretended to be playing with something in the grass. It wasn't long before my horse and the three other horses and 4 cows came wandering over.  Once my horse got within 5 yards I showed him a mint to draw him in( scotch mints seem popular).  As soon as he came up close enough I petted him gently and gave him a mint.  Now I know what you are thinking you shouldn't have to feed mints to have a horse do what you want, and I agree but I needed all the help I could get to help me reestablish the bond.
My horse really enjoyed it and I gave him another this time giving him lots of attention and rubbing along his neck. When he stood for it and clearly showed signs of liking it I stopped and walked away a few yards. 
As I had hoped he followed me at which time I scratched and gave him a mint.  After 10 minutes of this I turned and walked away, no riding no halter just left him wanting more.  I continued to do this for 3 days but this time without the mints just the rubbing and scratching.  It has been a month now and I no longer have problems catching my horse he just walks up looks for his rubbing and scratching and follows me in to the barn or I just jump on and ride him in. 
This problem of catching the horse was caused by me and my scrambling and anxiousness to get a ride in.  Horses have no time lines, if we just take our time and not rush horses you will be amazed how cooperative they can be.  I heard a saying I am not sure how it goes exactly but I think it was something like " the quickest way to get somewhere with a horse is often the long way".