Friday, October 2, 2009

Picking the right boarding stable. Meeting your needs.

The other day I talked about finding the right boarding stable that will meet not only your horses needs but also cater to your wants.  I'd like to continue with that today.  I touched on the importance of price, location and ammenities today I want to talk about the staff and the services they provide.
It is very important that you trust the people responsible for looking after your horse, Are they knowledgeable about horses, do they have a good reputation in the horse community.  Ask around and see what others have to say about the stable.  Secondly is the staff accommodating or are they very rigid in the running of the business.  I can understand and respect the need for rules and business hours but  situations arise that may call for some flexibility.  Will they allow you to come in early to prep your horse for a show, can you buy a bale for that road trip you are planning , can I park my horse trailer for free, little things like that mean a lot. 
Liking the people that run and work at the stable is also important.  Do they make you feel welcomed when you show up or do they make you feel like an intruder.  Do they go out of their way to keep the barn lively and fun or is it the same thing day in and day out.  I have been to some places that  feel like you are walking into a church the atmosphere is so somber.  For me riding is about having fun.  Everytime I get on a horse no matter what the horse I want it to be fun.  The stable atmosphere is a big part of that equation so be sure you find a stable that has like minded people with similar interests.  Odds are you will make some new friends and find a riding buddy to tag along with.
Remember you are paying for a service and it is not unreasonable to expect what you are paying for. 
thanks
Steve Wawryk